Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Off to Ontario

Tomorrow morning I start my drive north to Ontario Canada for birding and family reunions and hope to get some birds on my year list on the way up, too.  Tomorrow my first stop is for Black Tern near Harrisburg Pa.  Chances low, yes, but it takes only 5 minutes, yes, and I could get something else there, yes which makes it a worth while stop plus around there we'd need a stop for bathroom, food, etc.  We spend a night in southern New York and then the next day go on to Kingston Ontario and on the way hope for Least Bittern and Virginia Rail.  Kingston is a stop for my aunt but we'll also go around and see what birds we can find (not sure what's all there but I will research).  From there it's on a few hours farther north to visit a friend but her husband is a birdwatcher and apparently there's lots of good birds there.  Then it's on to Algonquin Park where I have a long list of targets that include Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Mourning Warbler, grouse of different species, Boreal Chickadee, and Gray Jay.  Then it's on to Stayner and Barrie where most of my family is and I will hopefully get good birds there too and then it's on the way back home and birding on the way back.  3 weeks in all.  Gonna be great!

On another note, I can feel birds slipping from me but that's fine because I'm doing a Junior Big Year, not a competition that I'm trying to get over 700 in.  But man there's some nice birds I'd like to get!   Most of note is a FORK-TAILED FLYCATCHER out of all things was in southern Virginia yesterday!  A Cassin's Sparrow is hanging around for over a week in Ohio.  Amazing birds that I wish I could see but Ontario blocks any of the already slim possibilities that would normally occur!

No comments:

Post a Comment