Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The adventure of Bobwhite

One of the birds I've really wanted to get that I've been trying for around my home area is Northern Bobwhite.  I've been through areas where No. Bobwhites are seen frequently but what have I gotten?  No bobwhites.   I thought I'd have to wait to bag that bird in Chincoteague Virginia when I'm there in November.  But I often go to Shenandoah National Park, and in one of the park's best birding and wildlife areas, Big Meadow I've several times heard an unusual bird sound there.  I didn't know what it was.  It turns out that yesterday I was having lunch with my friend Larry Brown who's not a birder but rather a great wildlife photographer.  Larry generally photographs bears, whitetail deer, coyotes, and other things but he also likes to photograph game birds.  Recently he got his first looks at No. Bobwhites and photographs of them at Big Meadow.  He said that he heard them make an unusual sound.  I wondered if it was the sound I had heard.  I imitated it for him and he said it sounded like it.  When I got home I checked the sound recording of No. Bobwhites and sure enough - that was it - a year bird for me!

Larry Brown is a wonderful nature photographer and a really good man!  Please take a moment to view his wonderful photography at his website www.shenandoahviews.com or for some of his best, most recent photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwbrown/

No comments:

Post a Comment