Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day seven of Ontario trip - Algonquin targets, some of them anyway

Written at 9:35 am on Monday June 27.

Yesterday (June 26) I explored and birded Algonquin Park.

Right as I left my cabin about 30 minutes from the entrance to the park I picked up my first year bird of the day and one of my Algonquin targets - Alder Flycatcher.  That made high hopes for many more year birds in the day.

I went on a morning bird walk with Peter Mills at Algonquin Park and we saw some good birds but nothing new for the year list.

Then I gave a talk at the Algonquin Park visitor centre and I talked about how to be among black bears and I read my book about bears "Oh No, Gertrude!"  That went great.

In the evening I went to an area Peter suggested for some of my chief Algonquin targets such as Boreal Chickadee, Gray Jay, and Black-backed Woodpecker among other not so important targets.  Peter said that there was a certain location with a Black-backed Woodpecker nest.  We couldn't find that but fortunately, I got one in a different part of the trail.  I also got to hear an Olive-sided Flycatcher.  Both life birds for me.

Today and tomorrow I try for Gray Jay and Boreal Chickadee but if I miss them, that's okay, I'll get them in Alaska.  Tomorrow afternoon it's heading back south but we're going to spend a couple of weeks in the Barrie area of Ontario where my family's from and I'm going to be able to do birding there.

Right now I'm RIGHT ON TRACK for 380 to 385 for year's end.  In order to keep on that track I needed 10 year birds on the Ontario trip before I left Algonquin, and right now I'm right at 10 so am looking good.  Hopefully the Barrie area gives me good birds - because I really want 10 more before I get home in order to stay on track for 375 at year's end which is my much wanted goal.  After Alaska I'll have a much better since if that's going to happen but if the rest of this trip, Alaska, and Arizona as well as Chincoteague, Virginia treats me well I'm right on track to go over 375.

KestrelSwan

No comments:

Post a Comment