Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Shenandoah Nat. Park birds -- Louisiana Waterthrush added!

Yesterday and today I've spent the daylight hours in Shenandoah Nat. Park in hopes of finding early birds and mammals, too.  Yesterday, Field Sparrows were plentiful assuring me that the warm weather of spring was just around the corner, but 1 each of Fox Sparrow and Brown Creeper reminded me that winter was still in the air.  However, then, another sure sign of spring was observed when I saw a Louisiana Waterthrush along a mountain stream, a life bird for me!  It was a great day of winter and summer birds.

Today did not support any year or life birds but a Barred Owl was extraordinary!  At dusk, it perched in a tree right in front of us for several minutes.  What a treat!

I got home to hear about the exciting report of a Violet-green Swallow just 45 minutes from home!  That's a state record.  I hope to be after the bird tomorrow but bad weather may stop me.  If it does, I'll do my best to try for the bird on Monday.  Stay around rare swallow!

Until later,

KestrelSwan

No comments:

Post a Comment