Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Getting ready to go

Yesterday and today have brought "getting ready for Texas birds", a lot of time has been focused on getting the locations of the rarities in that area and the directions so not so much time for birding.

Non the less, I've still managed to get a few birds and 3 or 4 Red-shouldered Hawks were the highlight today.  Other sightings included: 10 E. Meadowlarks, many Red-tailed Hawks, 4 A. Kestrels, Carolina Wrens, and others.

Tomorrow we head off to Texas!  I have many, many target birds which include the area specialties that are only easily found in that area like Green Jay, Whooping Crane, and Great Kiskadee.  Other targets are the rarity birds that I have been notified of by the state's birding listserv.  These birds include a Black-vented Oriole at Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park, a White-throated Thrush at Estero Llano Grande State Park, a Crimson-collared Grosbeak in the town of Pharr, and a Yellow-faced Grassquit at Goose Island State Park.  So exciting!

I may not be updating the blog lots on the travels but I will as much as I can.

KestrelSwan

No comments:

Post a Comment