Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wood Duck and Redheads

Yesterday didn't produce anything of note..I don't think I even saw one of the local kestrels!

However, today I made the trip to 'the lakes' that I visit in Rockingham County about 30 minutes north of where I live.  4 Redheads were of note at Lake Campbell, 2 male/2 female.  Also there were a Ruddy Duck, an American Coot, and a Canvasback, as well as the tame Mute Swan.  Nearby Lake Shenandoah hosted a pair of Ring-necked Duck males, 3 Hooded Mergansers, and the treat of a Wood Duck drake that was enjoying the dam side of the lake with it's Canada Geese 'friends'.  Fairly-nearby 'Leonard's Pond' hosted 22 Canada Geese but nothing else.  A flock of starlings on the way home prompted hope they were blackbirds, but it was not to be.  Many American Robins around today.

It's cold, dreary, cloudy, wet, and rainy now, so I guess no more birding today..however Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I believe are nice days and Wednesday we fly to Texas!  Kiskadees, Green Jays, Caracaras, and hawks, we're coming soon!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment