Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Rusty Blackbirds added and Immature Bald Eagle!

Just when it would be thought to be a quite day on the birding front..not so!

Upon my arrival into the yard I heard a bird singing a very pretty song.  Unfamiliar to most bird songs, I didn't know what it was, but I knew which bush the bird was in.  After locating the bird, I quickly observed it and identified it as a Carolina Wren.  2nd time that species has been in my yard, but not a year bird unfortunately.

Then I spotted a pair of medium size blackbirds that were clearly not starlings nor Red-wings or C Grackles...  I observed the pair of male birds flying north overhead and their dark plumage and shorter tail than a grackle's, it was obvious that they were Rusty Blackbirds..drum roll please!  Year bird #201!

Now I'm going out to try to get hawks..Red-tailed, Red-shouldered, Sharp-shinned, or Kestrel are my targets, although something rarer like a Rough-legged or Goshawk would be nice..ha ha, high hopes for my yard, I know!

Great afternoon for hawks and other raptors.  Several kestrels were observed, as well as several Red-taileds.  Most of all though, was an IMMATURE BALD EAGLE that soared right near by!  Nice.

Tomorrow I'm going for a bird walk at a local park.

No comments:

Post a Comment