Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Red-necked Grebe #200!

Over the last week or so I've been hearing the reports of 2 rare grebes at Lake Anna in Louisa County of Virginia.  One is a Red-necked Grebe at "Dike 3" and another is a Western Grebe that got injured and re released near Lake Anna State Park.

Yesterday I made the trip in hopes of finding both grebes, but the Red-necked Grebe was the real target as it would be a life bird for me and I had gotten a Western Grebe in California.  We arrived at Dike 3 with plenty of daylight to search for the bird.  Upon my arrival a pair of Bonaparte's Gulls in addition to many Ring-bills greeted me.  Bonaparte's Gull is a year bird so a success already!  I was then at 199 bird species for the year, so if I then got the Red-necked Grebe it would be #200.  I searched for probably 20 minutes and saw birds that weren't year birds but nice ones none the less like Common Loons and Pied-billed and Horned Grebes.  Then..I spotted a medium-size grebe out on the lake..could it be the Red-necked?  I got a good look and was 98 percent that I had found year bird #200.  But the look was quick and I was not 100 percent.  We walked another 20+ minutes before I re spotted the bird but then I yelled to my mama as we were getting ready to go "I got it!".  True success,  I watched it for a good 10 minutes and without any question it was the Red-necked Grebe!  I observed it's features and saw the unique colored chest and even got a look at the beak.

Then we went to look for the Western Grebe, as it would be a great bird to see and a state bird for me.  We got a Horned Grebe that caused a bit of studying but it did turn out to be a Horned.

Luckily, I got the life bird as well as Bonaparte's Gull as a year bird.

Great day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment