Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Sunday, November 27, 2011

A great northern wanderer - Snowy Owl

I left Annapolis Maryland at about 10:30 am this morning, headed for the Merrill Creek Reservoir for the Snowy Owl being consistently reported there.

We arrived at 2:30 pm and asked at the visitor center for directions to the Snowy Owl.  She said that it was a 3 mile round trip walk to the main dam where the owl was being seen.  However the gates close at 4:30 pm so we need to houf it.

We arrived at the dam but no Snowy Owl.  Then I spotted a group of about 10 people with spotting scopes way down by a stream.  We found a trail to go there but it was steep and treacherous.  We we eventually got there and there was a nice man there with a swarovski spotting scope and thanks to him I got to look through the scope at this amazing bird.  A lifer for me and number 377 for my Junior Big Year!  Thank you beautiful Snowy...

We then went for a thai dinner at a superb thai restaurant and am now at the Holiday Inn, Allentown PA.  Tomorrow we drive home.

Back at home, I plan to make a photo post from this trip with photos of the Calliope Hummingbird, Snowy Owl, and scenery along the way.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous bird to see. I loved this adventurous hike to see this beautiful bird. What a weekend we had. I'll be sorry to see the Big Year end. thanks little bear for a great time!

    ReplyDelete