Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Friday, April 15, 2011

Kingbirds..Eastern added!

Another year bird, I'm on a streak, for the last several days I've been getting at least 1 year bird every day!

Today my mom and I had to walk our dog.  Being a birder, I made it in to a birding walk (ah - I love the dog but I'm all birding minded this year!)  I got some good birds including my nemesis bird for the longest time, including Brown Thrasher which I got last weekend.  Since we were walking on my home roads, that I bird daily, I didn't really think I'd get a year bird but I wasn't against getting one either (whenever I have a chance to get a bird I take the opportunity!)  We were walking along, then I spot a flycatcher fly to a wire.
"that doesn't look like a Phoebe" was my first thought.  I git the BINS on the bird..bingo, white tail tip is clear as day, year bird # 253: Eastern Kingbird!  It seems funny to me that I got Cassin's, Couch's, Western, and Gray Kingbirds before Eastern and Long-billed and Curved-billed Thrashers before Brown, but wild things do happen in a big year!

I'm going to Shenandoah National Park this afternoon and hope to 'win the lottery ticket' and find an early Cerulean or Chestnut-sided Warbler.

UPDATE: Shenandoah National Park didn't have any year birds.  Whip-Poor-Wills and Great Crested Flycatcher were the highlights but I had already gotten them both in Florida.

KestrelSwan

No comments:

Post a Comment