Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Thursday, December 22, 2011

The end is closer than ever

Christmas is just a couple of days from now.  That means one thing: my Big Year is closing in on the end.  What a year it's been!  431 species so far including such rarities as Black-vented Oriole, Yellow-faced Grassquit, Brown Shrike, Garganey, and Rufous-capped Warbler.

My plan now?  I'll be going as strong as she goes right up and on through December 31st.  My next (and perhaps final) ideal chase would be to go to Tennessee to chase the Hooded Crane and meet up with John Vanderpoel.  However, right now there is a Nutting's Flycatcher in Arizona, a Dusky Thrush in Anchorage, and a pelagic trip that John is scheduled to be on out of Hatteras NC on the 27th.  We'll see if it works out for us to meet John in Tennessee.  I'll be watching the listservs for any good rarity.  I'll post on Christmas day if not sooner with an update and tentative plan for the last week.  It's gonna be a great ride to the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment