Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Edging up to 300

My oh my, only 76 more to go for my total number of species goal at year's end!  My goal is 375 and right now I'm at 299!

So what was my 299th?  Yesterday morning when checking my emails I got notified of an important, hard-to get year bird: Dickcissel.  A male Dickcissel had been reported in southern Albemarle County, about 90 minutes from my home.  Only 90 minutes away was this midwestern rascal!  I headed out to the location within a few hours, with high hopes of finding the Dickcissel.  I arrived at the location, searched around and found some good birds..Grasshopper and Savannah Sparrows, among others.  Then my mom pointed out a bird down the way.  I got my spotting scope on it and heard it sing.  Dickcissel!   My second one ever and a year bird..# 299!

My year is shaping up greatly!

KestrelSwan

1 comment:

  1. and on the way home we had a great trip into Shenandoah National Park seeing Bear # 13 of the season. Great day!

    ReplyDelete