Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Friday, September 2, 2011

Pectoral364!

One of the last birds that I thought that I could fairly easily pick up in my home area this year was the Pectoral Sandpiper.  Yesterday evening, on my way to Harrisonburg, a city about 30 minutes away from here I stopped at Leonard's Pond, a great birding location to look for shorebirds.  I scanned the pond.  Killdeer, Killdeer, Killdeer, Killdeer, Killdeer, Killdeer, Killdeer, Killdeer!  I counted 25.  Then I noticed another bird, a largish sandpiper.  I got my scope on it.  Oh ye baby, that's a Pectoral!  I saw the brown or whatever you call it extending way down the underside.  No question!  I was 100 percent sure but since I have trouble IDing shorebirds I was just a bit like "no other birder saw it, can I be sure?" but I was.  And later I found out that an amazing experienced birder Allen Larner stopped by that pond last evening as well and saw a Pectoral in addition to a few Least Sandpipers which I thought I also saw..so I did get my shorebirds ID'd correctly.

Pectoral Sandpiper is year bird 364!

No comments:

Post a Comment