Revised 2011 bird total:
437 species

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Alaska trip day two - yup, we're north!

Written July 31 2011.

Yesterday, July 30 I birded around Anchorage and had the most wonderful time.  I managed 6 new year birds, plus 3 the day before making the Anchorage total 9, much better than hoped.

I started out at the beautiful Potter Marsh where I got 2 new year birds, Black-billed Magpie and Short-billed Dowitcher as well as many other beautiful birds including Sandhill Cranes, both yellowlegs, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and more.

Then we went to a place called Smoke Jumper Trail, a very boreal forest filled with northern trees.  While walking I heard a chickadee, which I first regarded as one of the many Black-cappeds.  But then it caught my attention.  No!  Not a Black-capped!  It's a Boreal Chickadee!  I walked to the sound and starting pishing.  It came in and gave me the most beautiful look.  One of my long wanted life birds had finally made a showing.

Then I went to a bog near where I'm staying and I got to spend time with a beautiful Moose.

Yesterday evening I went to a place called Arctic Valley and climbed to above tree line and got to hike there with magnificent views, true Alaska.  On that outing I got 3 new year birds, Northwestern Crow along the way and Gray-cheeked Thrush and Rufous Hummingbird at mountaintop.  The Rufous Hummingbird was attracted to the red of a chair lift of a small skiing area.

Today I head south starting my trek to Homer and am more focusing on mammals today stopping at a wildlife rehabilitation center, looking for Dall Sheep, and a hike for bears.  Between now and when I get back to Anchorage next week I don't know if I'll be able to post much, but I will write and next week will post all at once if I can't post at Homer.

Until later.

KestrelSwan

No comments:

Post a Comment